Building ContractorJacksonville, Florida
Founded in 1997, Breaking Ground Contracting has been redefining construction as an award-winning building contractor in Jacksonville, Florida for 25 years by providing expert project management and oversight for new construction, renovations, tenant build-outs, and more. Breaking Ground offers the most trusted general contracting, pre-construction, design-build, construction management, and sustainability consulting services in Jacksonville and beyond.
Our diverse experience, focus on sustainability, and impeccable attention to detail enables us to help our clients achieve their construction goals by staying on time and within budget–all with minimal impact on the environment.
Mary TappouniCertified General Contractor, LEED AP
At the head of Jacksonville’s leading choice for sustainable construction is Mary Tappouni–General Contractor, sustainability consultant, community leader, and female entrepreneur. With decades of experience in the construction industry, Mary has distinguished herself as a leader in the field of green building and sustainable construction. She has made numerous appearances on local television and radio shows and frequently contributes to periodicals on the topic of sustainability and its role in small business.
As a builder, Mary has managed multimillion-dollar projects, including institutional projects ranging from small city parks to cultural centers and educational facilities.
As a consultant, she’s led the charge in Northeast Florida, educating other building contractors, real estate agents, facility managers, students, and more on the benefits of sustainability and green building.
As a member of the community, she’s made building a better Jacksonville her mission and spoken on the subjects of green building, sustainability, and resiliency at conferences across the state of Florida.
Mary’s hands-on involvement with every aspect of her professional career, her careful attention-to-detail, and empathetic communication style, has contributed to Breaking Ground Contracting’s sustained success over the past 25 years and earned her the respect and continued business of her clients and partners.
Certifications & Awards
- LEED AP®
- Florida Green Building Coalition Certifying Agent
- Florida Green Building Coalition Designated Professional
- Green Globes Professional (GGP)
- PHIUS Certified Builder (Passive House Institute US)
- WELL AP
Awards & Recognition
- 2009 Best Practice Award for Leadership from Sustainable Florida-Collins Center for Public Policy
- 2009 State of Florida Small Business Person of the Year
- 2019 Award of Merit from City of Jacksonville Environmental Protection Board
- State Board member of the Florida Green Building Coalition
- Founding member and Chair of the Board of Directors of the North Florida Green Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the U.S. Green Building Council
- Regular presenter for the Sustainable Florida Conference
- Speaker at the GreenBuild conference in Chicago in 2010
- Past member of the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) National Green Committee
- Past Co-Chair of the Sustainability Committee for ULI North Florida
Creative Problem Solvers
Sustainable by Default
Driven by Relationships
Featured Client Projects